Miller Waste Systems designs, builds, owns and operates waste processing facilities including Material Recovery Facilities (MRFs), Composting Facilities, Anaerobic Digestion Facilities and Transfer Stations.
Typically these initiatives are done under a municipal contract by which the performance specifications for the facility are fully customized in order to meet the individual municipality's needs. These specifications include through-put capacity, product quality, labour requirements and the like. Miller's Engineering Group designs, builds and commissions the facility and our Operating Group then operates the facility under a long-term contract. Miller has extensive experience in provincial ministry environmental requirements and can work to expedite the approvals process. Miller takes complete responsibility for the entire process right from the approvals stage to the final commissioning of the plant.
Once a facility is fully commissioned, ownership of the facility is often transferred to the municipality or Miller can retain ownership. Should Miller be granted the operating contract as well, our highly trained team takes over and manages the facility as efficiently as possible. Our stringent preventative maintenance regimes for stationary equipment and mobile support equipment often exceed the manufacturer's expectations. This ensures minimal downtime and increased performance. Municipal customers can rest assured that our approach to keeping facilities running is second to none.
Examples of Miller's Design-Build-Operate projects include:
- Halifax Regional Municipality In-Vessel Composting Facility for source-separated organics. The facility is owned and operated by Miller.
- The York Region Waste Management Centre. This facility consists of a large MRF (90,000t per year) and a transfer station. It is owned by the Regional Municipality of York.
- The Pickering Compost Facility. This is an in-vessel composting facility processing source-separated organics from Durham Region. It is owned and operated by Miller.
- The City of London MRF. This is a large facility with capacity to serve The City of London and the surrounding region. It is owned by The City of London.
- The Earl Turcott Waste Management Facility. This is a large transfer station in Markham Ontario. It transfers source-separated organics, blue-box recyclables, residential residual waste, and commercial waste. There is a separate receiving area for each material. The facility is owned and operated by Miller.
Miller has an excellent track record in completing these types of project on-time and on-budget. We are keen to find similar new projects.