Hwy 404 Reconstruction
In the spring of 2020 Brennan Paving and Construction (BPCL) successfully won the Highway 404 rehabilitation project from Highway 401 to Highway 7.
The purpose of this project is to rehabilitate the road surface of Highway 404 from Highway 401 to Highway 7. Widening of Highway 404 Northbound off-ramp to Sheppard Avenue is required along with the rehabilitation of Sheppard Avenue Underpass. The project also encompasses upgrading vehicle and pedestrian traffic to five (5) intersections within the project corridor to comply with Accessibility Regulation requirements as well as retrofitting the High Mast Pole lighting along the project corridor.
Two major concrete culvert repairs are required to ensure proper drainage is maintained. A CNR steel railway bridge that spans over the 404 also requires coating to enhance the longevity of the bridge.
The objectives of the project are:
- to complete a quality project, safely, on time, and on budget. Some of the constraints associated with the project include the contract completion date of November 10th, 2023. The project commenced on May 16th, 2020. Operational Constraints limit the work to between May and November o each year.
- The in-water water work window at both culvert locations is from July 1st to Sept 30th. As a portion of the scope of work is within CNR property, approvals from the railway company must be given before proceeding with the work and Railway flagging is required during all times that work is occurring within the railway Right-of-Way.
Some of the major items and activities are:
- Concrete Fast Track – 3,000 m²
- Asphalt Removal – 600,000 m²
- Asphalt Paving – 135,000 t
- Full Bridge Rehabilitation (Parapet Walls, Sidewalk, Type A, B and C concrete removal and replacement)
- Two in water culvert rehabilitations requiring full dewatering and temporary flow passage systems –
- 2 each High mast pole Retrofits – 55 each
LET’S WORK TOGETHER
We succeed because we respect our people and invest in their development and well-being.
We’re always on the lookout for smart people with the drive to take on challenges, think about what our customers need in new and innovative ways, and deliver creative solutions.