QEW Glendale Interchange
The transformation of the interchange at the QEW and Glendale Avenue in the Niagara-on-the-Lake region will improve traffic conditions in an area plagued by congestion.
The centrepiece of the $54 million project is a diverging diamond interchange (DDI) where Glendale Avenue crosses the QEW. The DDI will be the first of its kind in Ontario, and one of only three in Canada. The DDI will shift vehicles to the left side of the road as they cross the highway and is expected to improve traffic flow and enhance safety as vehicles will no longer need to cross oncoming lanes of traffic to access the highway.
Other elements of the project include bridge replacement, reconstruction of the Glendale Avenue/York Road Intersection to a single-lane roundabout with Channelization, and the construction of a new Airport Road loop ramp and connection road from Glendale Avenue to York Road/Airport Road Intersection.
The new Airport Road connection from Glendale Avenue allows for a direct route for traffic to the historic Old Town Niagara-on-the-Lake tourist area by removing the need to navigate left and right turns through two closely situated intersections and will divert some traffic from the busy Glendale Avenue/York Road intersection.
The contract was awarded to Brennan Construction and its design partner, Morrison Hershfield Limited. Defined project components include the design phase (late-2020), the construction phase (Spring 2021) and construction of the DDI in late 2022, with an expectation that the project is completed by late-2023.
Bridge Replacement and Diverging Diamond Interchange
Bridge carrying Glendale Avenue over QEW has reached end of service life and requires replacement.
Diverging Diamond configuration will improve interchange performance.
Active transportation (pedestrians and cyclists) provided through the interchange.
Existing bridge will remain in service as new bridge is being constructed beside it.
A commuter parking lot will be provided within the interchange for drivers travelling from Niagara-on-the-Lake to the Greater Toronto Area, or Niagara frontier area
Niagara Region Roundabout at the Glendale Avenue/York Road Intersection
- Replacing the existing signalized intersection at Glendale Avenue and York Road with a single-lane roundabout with channelization in the southwest and southeast quadrants to service high volume turning movements.
- Retaining access in all directions to the abutting commercial properties such as the hotels to the north.
- Protecting for a potential two-lane roundabout in the event that York Road is widened in the future.
Niagara Region New Airport Road Connection from Glendale Avenue
- A bridge under Glendale Avenue just north of the interchange bridge structure.
- A loop ramp from Glendale Avenue northbound connecting to the east end of the tunnel.
- A connecting road from the west end of the bridge to the Airport Road/York Road intersection, which adds a westbound lane to the commuter parking lot egress road
LET’S WORK TOGETHER
We succeed because we respect our people and invest in their development and well-being.
We’re always on the lookout for smart people with the drive to take on challenges, think about what our customers need in new and innovative ways, and deliver creative solutions.