The Land Management Team works closely with others within The Miller Group to manage and coordinate our land-related assets including, landowner relations, public, Indigenous and agency consultations, approvals, and land stewardship.
The Land Management Department’s portfolio includes:
- Managing owned and leased property including leases, agreements, and property taxes.
- Public and agency consultation, community outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
- Understanding government and industry legislations, policies, plans, and regulations.
- Licence applications and amendments for sustainable reserve growth, including divestment and acquisition opportunities.
- Operational support to ensure compliance with licences, permits and approvals to operate, including municipal approvals.
- Support to Finance and Legal Departments and Corporate reporting on land-related matters.
- Land stewardship, site rehabilitation and special projects that support our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
Tree Planting Program
Launched for our 105th anniversary in 2022, the Tree Planting Program is Miller’s dedication to planting 115,000 trees over the next 10 years. In the first two years of the program more than 35,000 trees and shrubs have been planted across 7 sites.
In line with COLAS’ CSR goals, the planting of native trees, shrubs, and pollinator gardens contributes to the offsetting of Miller’s carbon footprint and support local biodiversity. To foster environmental education and awareness, the program hosts tree planting days where employees are invited to attend and get involved in the planting activities.
Group picture of employees that attended the 2023 Tree Planting days at Kitchener (left) and Uxbridge (right)
Started in 2023, the Beehive program works with local beekeepers to install and manage beehives across Miller properties. In its first year, over 80 hives were placed across southern Ontario. As the program expands, we intend to increase the number of locations with beehives to span across our Ontario and Maritimes operations.
This program supports COLAS’ biodiversity initiative of rolling out beehives at suitable sites across the company’s groups. The hosting of the beehives across Miller will help spread awareness to the importance and protection of pollinator species such as bees. As the program continues to grow, we hope to host a variety of honeybees and native bee across our properties.
Beehives placed at Miller sites in Elora (left) and Uxbridge (right) as part of Beehive Hosting program